Tips to Win
May 3, 2012
At the gym right now, we have the Spring Fitness Challenge underway. A group of dedicated individuals have risen to the Challenge of making noticeable changes to their lifestyle to lose weight and get even more fit! A few have even taken it one step further and are coming in on their days off to do extra sled, ropes, hill sprints and bike sprints. Talk about a keen bunch!
To help everyone be successful, I am happy to pass along some hints that will help everybody incorporate baby steps into their daily regime. Here goes:
- Use stairs instead of elevator – such a little thing, but counts big time. In fact, do a couple of laps up and down the stairs before you get to your destination.
- Eat breakfast each day – for some of you not an issue. But for those of you not accustomed to eating breakfast, this could be your biggest challenge. Make it happen!
- Finish lunch 10 minutes early and go for a walk – helps to stretch out the ole body and get a few calories burned. Get the heart rate up now…..
- Try a new vegetable this week – one of the biggest issues with watching your food intake is boredom. Be brave, try something new or a new recipe…
- Eat your quota of protein each day – .8 grams per lb of body weight is a good start. Without adequate protein intake, your weight loss will come to a screeching halt.
- Watch your portions – this is Numero Uno in the weight loss department. See number 7 for a good start.
- Use a smaller dinner plate – pick a smaller plate and don't over fill it.
- Drink a minimum of 8 glasses water each day. It is important to keep well hydrated. I know not a problem for a lot of you. But take a moment to make sure you are drinking water throughout the day.
- Make sure you are getting protein, carbs and a good fat with each meal. Our goal is to include some protein, a healthy carb (fruit or vegetable) and some healthy fat (nuts, olive oil, flax seed) at each meal and snack.
Till next time,