Spicy Chicken Chowder with Carrot Noodles
Love noodles in your soup? Here’s a delicious way to enjoy noodles without the typical waist-expanding carbohydrates. Take a vegetable peeler and create long strips of carrots or zucchini, and use these in your homemade soup as noodles. It’s fun, it’s tasty, and it will get you one step closer to those amazing abs. Servings: 8
Here’s what you need…
- 2 Tablespoons Coconut oil (Or use bacon fat for more flavor)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lbs bone-in, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 butternut squash, seeded peeled and cubed (3-4 cups)
- 1 bunch red kale, chopped
- 1 (160z) jar green, roasted salsa
- 4 cups Chicken Broth
- 5 large carrots, made into flat noodles with a vegetable peeler
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- In a large soup pot, place the coconut oil (or bacon fat) over medium high heat. Add the garlic and chicken thighs and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Add the butternut squash cubes and chopped kale. Continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the salsa and chicken broth and bring to a low boil.
- Wash the carrots, then use a vegetable peeler to create long, flat “noodles”. Add to the pot. Reduce to a simmer and cover for 40 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and pull the chicken meat from the bones. Use an immersion blender to puree 1/3 of the vegetables. Return the meat to the pot and discard the bones. Add most of the cilantro, saving just enough to garnish each bowl. Serve warm.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 306 calories, 19g fat, 528mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, and 23g protein