Slow Cooker Chicken Breast with Figs and Squash
A slow cooker is a wonderful tool to prepare meals of protein and vegetables with very little labor. Most slow cooker recipes simply require that you chop and gather all of the ingredients into the slow cooker in the morning, and then the food cooks all day while you are away. The chicken and squash in this recipe turn out deliciously moist and flavorful.
Here’s what you need:
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 lbs organic, boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 12 dried figs, chopped 1 cup butternut squash, chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 Tablespoons fresh tarragon, chopped
- i2 Tablespoons fresh sage, chopped
- In a large skillet place the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Rinse the chicken and pat dry. Season with salt and pepper. Add to the skillet, browning each side for about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the contents of the skillet to your slow cooker and top with the remaining ingredients.
- Cook on low for 6 hours
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 389 calories, 7g fat, 400mg sodium, 27g carbs, 2g fiber, and 48g protein