Sausage and Cabbage Comfort Soup
Homemade soup is a wonderful way to enjoy healthy, quick meals at home. This recipe for Sausage and Cabbage Comfort Soup is packed with wholesome fiber from fresh vegetables and protein from sausage. Make a big pot on the weekend and then reheat bowls throughout the week for fast, nutritious meals that will keep you on track with your fitness goals.
Here’s what you need…
- 1 ½ pounds mild Italian sausage, loose
- 1 large yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and sliced into ¼” rounds
- 1 head green cabbage, core removed and shredded
- 3 large tomatoes, diced
- 2 teaspoons sea salt (plus more as needed)
- fresh ground black pepper (about 5 cracks)
- 1 teaspoon ground sweet paprika
- 8 cups chicken broth
- Basil leaf to garnish *optional
- Brown the sausage at the bottom of a large soup pot over medium high heat, breaking it into small pieces as it browns. Remove the cooked sausage from the pot and set aside in a bowl, leaving the oil from the sausage in the pot.
- Add the onions, garlic and carrots to the pot with the hot oil. Continue to cook over medium high heat, stirring often as the veggies become tender, about 5 minutes. Add the cabbage and tomatoes, and continue to cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Mix in the remaining ingredients and bring the soup to a low simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add more salt and pepper to taste and serve hot. Enjoy!
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 116 calories, 7g fat, 7g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, and 6g protein.