Quick Pumpkin Soup
Craving pumpkin yet this season? Well rather than falling into a major calorie trap by getting your pumpkin fix in a sugary coffee drink or baked goods, give this simple and quick pumpkin soup recipe a try. Made from canned, pureed pumpkin, this soup comes together in minutes and brings out the most comforting flavor of the season in a healthy, satisfying way. Enjoy!
Here’s what you need…
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon coconut palm sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 (15oz) cans pureed pumpkin
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 (14oz) can coconut milk
- black pepper
- **To garnish: pepitas and sour cream
- Place the coconut oil in the bottom of a large soup pot over medium high heat. Add the onion, garlic, coconut palm sugar, allspice, and red pepper flakes. Sauté until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin, broth and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Use an immersion blender to blend the soup until smooth. Return the soup to a simmer and add in the coconut milk. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Garnish with pepitas and sour cream. Enjoy!
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 175 calories, 13g fat, 13g carbohydrate, 5g fiber, and 3g protein.